Friday, August 15, 2014

July/August 2014 Birchbox

These two came within 2 weeks of each other (due to someones mistake on the Birchbox team). I've been on and off with Birchbox lately. Their boxes tend to be hit or miss.

The staff are great, the points system and shop are wonderful but the box samples tend to leave me scratching my head sometimes.

I'll make this short since I'm currently traveling and all of these products can be found in their shop.
If you are interested in trying the service here is my referral link. It's only $10 a month.

July

-Cynthia Rowley Beauty Eyeliner sample

-Real Chemistry Luminous 3-Minute Peel sample

-Supergoop! Daily Correct CC Cream SPF 35+

-Harvey Prince Imperial Gardenia fragrance sample

-Naobay Body Radiance Lotion sample


The Knobs and Bobs:

The eyeliner is the same brand and color that Birchbox has sent out several times in the past. It's a good liner but does tend to smudge.

The peel is interesting. I've never tried anything like it before but it seemed to work nicely. It smells nice and didn't irritate my sensitive skin. There's probably 3-4 uses depending on how much you need to use.


This sample...I placed a US quarter next to it to give a size comparison. And within that tiny container it's less than half full. It's smaller than the fragrance sample.

I might be able to squeeze two uses out of it

The product goes on smoothly but tends to dry in patches. I would suggest maybe mixing it with a moisturizer to get more out of the product and to keep it from drying out.


The fragrance smelled very nice. It's a little strong and floral for me personally, but if you love Gardenias you may love this one.

The Naobay lotion is very nice and the sample is a great size! 


August

-Vasanti Detox Nutrient-Rich Facial Cleanser

-Harvey Prince Ageless Body Cream

-amika Perk Up Dry Shampoo 

-theBalm cosmetics Stainiac

-Noir Long Wear Eyeliner (full size $15 value!)


The Knobs and Bobs:

Vasanti is a brand that Birchbox introduced me to a few months back and I really like it. This cleanser is no exception. It leaves my face feeling clean and fresh.

I love Harvey Prince's 'Hello' fragrance so I knew I would probably like this body lotion. While the smell is nice and the formula is moisturizing, there is less than half a tube of product to use. To find out how much product is in a solid container I place a bright flashlight behind it. The size is already small, it would have been nice to at least have it filled up to the larger letters. There's really only enough to use 2-3 times on my arms and hands or once all over.

amika Dry Shampoo is fantastic! I have a really oily scalp so this has already come very handy. The smell is fresh and it doesn't produce much if any powdery residue. Will be purchasing full size!

theBalm Stainiac was a sample that I chose from a list of 4-5 other products. I love it!  It's a good travel size and the product itself has a nice consistency and color. It can be used as either a lip or cheek stain. Because it is a stain, it can be slightly drying so I top it off with a clear balm after applying.

The Noir eyeliner is very long wearing with very little smudging! I don't use black eyeliner but this would make a great gift for a family member. I really love how it's full sized and not one of those extremely tiny samples that never last and are hard to work with due to the stick being so small. It's a very nice liner.


Final Thoughts:

July was not so great and the sample sizes were disappointing. August had a very nice selection of products and reasonable sizes. Like I've said, Birchbox is a puzzle to me and keeps hitting and missing almost every other month. I'm not subscribed right now but will strongly think about giving them another shot after seeing what others are receiving from their September box next month.

If you've liked the products listed please give the service a chance. While I've had some negative experiences it's only $10 a month and you can cancel at any time. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment