Sunday, August 31, 2014

em Cosmetics Day Life Palette

em Cosmetics is a makeup line by L'oreal and a youtube beauty guru named Michelle Phan.

The Day Life Palette was on sale for $49 so I decided to finally give it a try.


Knobs and Bobs:

The palette comes with 24 eye shadows, 8 lip products, 2 blushes, 2 bronzers, a double ended shadow/liner brush and pick removal tool.

The packaging is very sturdy with magnetic lid closures on both the large palette and travel palette.

Each product can be removed and placed into the small palette for on-the-go color application.


(All colors applied dry to skin without a primer.)

First in the palette is (look #1) 'girls'day out' at the top left.

This is a more everyday look for me. Since I have green eyes the red tones really make them pop and look great with my pale skin.

All of the color have a good consistency except for 'Busy Lady' found in the lower left corner. The color is lovely, but the formula comes off very chalky and I have to really press down hard or keep layering it to get it fully pigmented.

In contrast, 'grab your purse is very rich, creamy and pigmented.

The lip products are very pretty sheer berry colors.





a pink moment
first priority
busy lady
things to do
rush hour
grab your purse

sweet raisin 
berry busy







(look #2) 'coffee break' at top right.

These are very nice brown neutrals.

These are mostly warm yellow based neutrals so  I tend to not look very good in them.

All of the colors are ok and fairly pigmented. 'lottsa latte' is a very creamy and pigmented color and would look great on someone with darker skin than my own. 'beige frappe' seemed to come off chalky and I had to keep trying to build up the color to make it show up, which is odd considering it's a shimmer.

The lip colors look nice in the pan but apply very sheer. 'what's nude' is a lovely coral pink but 'morning peach' doesn't show up at all.







creamy
beige frappe
lottsa latte
biscotti
cocoa
espresso

what's nude?
morning peach


(look #3) 'weekend brunch' is a nice mix of yellow and pink toned neutrals.

I love the darkest color 'nibble'. The photo doesn't do it justice, it's more of a deep plum brown rather than black. The formula for it is very creamy and pigmented. 

I was able to swatch all colors without having to layer them.


The lip colors are sheer. 'parisian nude' was another gloss that doesn't really shop up once applied.







creme
girlie
peach gelato
ballet flats
french toast
nibble

roses
parisian nude








(look #3 'day dreaming' is a gorgeous mix of muted pinks and purples. 

I love all of the colors here and all of them apply smoothly. The only one that's really chalky is 'fantasy', a really pretty duo tone mauve with gold sheen. The black 'onyx dreams' isn't as pigmented or smooth as the other darks.

The lip color 'misty mauve' is my favorite of the bunch and the one I keep in my travel palette.











french kiss
light violet
silver lining
fantasy
storm kiss
onyx dreams
misty mauve
one more








(with primer)

Colors used in travel palette:

perfect rose (blush)
beige frappe
espresso
rush hour
things to do
grab your purse
light violet
fantasy







Blushes/Bronzers



(look #1) 'perfect rose    -blush

(look #2) 'cappuccino'    -bronzer

(look #3) 'pinched'          -bronzer/blush

(look #4) 'day dreaming'  -blush






Final Thoughts:

Is it worth the money? I personally think it was a good purchase for $49. I received a very large amount of product as well as a travel palette to transfer my favorites for easy on-the-go access. 

em cosmetic products are expensive and I don't think I would have been very happy with the original $75 price tag that came along with it. These are slightly better than drugstore brands but nowhere near as nice as MAC, Urban Decay or Lancome (another l'oreal brand). I'm very excited to see that the permanent price for the Life Palette series has been lowered to $59!

Is it a good product? Some of the eye shadows are pigmented and creamy. Very few need to be built up for their color to fully show. Most are chalky with a lot of fall out, but very pretty colors. All of them last for hours with a primed base. It's a nice collection of mostly dependable products but nothing to get overly excited about.

The packaging is sturdy/solid with a very clean design. I love the magnetic closure on both palettes! The only negativity I have experienced is fall out from shadows getting into the lip products. The only way to avoid this is to either remove the lip products and place them in another palette or be very very careful with using any of the surrounding shadows. I found it best to remove what I want to use for the day into the travel palette to avoid any mess. It's also good to have them around if you need to touch up during the day.

I will be trying a few more em products and will be sure to write up my experiences with them once they arrive in the mail.

*Is it just me or is there a significant lack of sentence capitalization anywhere on the em cosmetics site? It's driving me crazy. Maybe it has to do with the brands name theme? Even this palette's product names were all lower case. I would be interested in learning what others think or know about this. ^^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment